Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs)
At a Glance
Hon’ble Prime Minister has given a clarion call for ‘AtmaNirbhar Bharat’ and has laid the roadmap for making Self-Reliant India.
ARHC is a significant move and pro-poor measure to improve ease of living for very important segment of the economy.
COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in reverse migration of urban migrants/ poor in the country. Urban migrants stay in slums/ informal settlements/ unauthorised colonies/ peri-urban areas to save cost on housing. They need decent rental housing at affordable rate at their work sites.
In order to address this need, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has initiated Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs), a sub-scheme under Pradhan Mantri AWAS Yojana- Urban (PMAY-U). This will provide ease of living to urban migrants/ poor in Industrial Sector as well as in non-formal urban economy to get access to dignified affordable rental housing close to their workplace.
1. Large scale reverse migration of urban migrants/ poor due to COVID-19.
2. Urban migrants stay in slums/ informal settlements/ unauthorised colonies/ peri-urban areas to save cost on housing.
3. Non availability of housing close to workplace adversely impacts productivity.
Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) as a Sub-scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Urban (PMAY-U) to provide affordable rental housing to urban migrants/ poor, close to their workplace.
Two-pronged implementation strategy: -
1. Utilizing existing Government funded vacant houses to convert into ARHCs through Public Private Partnership (PPP) or by Public Agencies
2. Construction, Operation and Maintenance of ARHCs by Public/ Private Entities on their own available vacant land
FEATURES OF ARHCs
1. Beneficiaries for ARHCs will be varied groups of urban migrants/ poor from EWS/ LIG categories including industrial & construction workers, migrants working with market/ trade associations, educational/ health institutions, hospitality sector, long-term tourists/ visitors, students etc.
2. ARHCs to be considered till PMAY (U) Mission period i.e. March 2022.
3. ARHCs will be a mix of single bedroom unit of up to 30 sqm/ double bedroom unit of up to 60 sqm with living area, kitchen, toilet and bathroom; and dormitory bed of up to 10 sqm carpet areas each, including all common facilities.
4. To be exclusively used for rental housing for a minimum period of 25 years.
5. Employment generation- about 11.74 crore person days estimated (3.89 crore person days of direct and 7.84 crore person days as indirect employment).
6. 2.95 lakh beneficiaries will be benefited by ARHCs, initially
INCENTIVES PROPOSED FOR PRIVATE/PUBLIC ENTITIES
|.Sl No||BY CENTRAL GOVT||BY STATES/UTS/ULBS/PARASTATALS|
|1||Concessional project finance under Affordable Housing Fund (AHF) & Priority Sector Lending (PSL)||Use Permission changes, if needed 50% additional FAR/FSI, free of cost Statutory approval of ARHC projects through Single window system (within 30 days)|
|2||Exemption in Income Tax & GST on any profit & gains from ARHCS||Trunk infrastructure upto the project site|
|3||Technology Innovation Grant (TIG) for promoting use of innovative technology||Municipal charges at par with residential property|
i. Decent living environment close to workplaces at affordable rates.
ii. Sustained supply of workforce and increased productivity for Industries and Manufacturing units.
iii. Opportunity to convert existing Government funded vacant houses into ARHCs for economically productive use.
iv. Encourage Private/Public Entities to efficiently utilize their vacant land available for developing ARHCs.
v. Propel new investment opportunities and promote entrepreneurship in rental housing sector by creating new job opportunities.
vi. Strengthening of Municipal Finances at ULB level.
vii. Prevent further proliferation of slums.
Fequently Asked Questions:
ARHCs Whiteboard Animation